Friday, May 23, 2008

Tourist Season Begins

And it's great for business. For years I have lived in tourist oriented cities. Without tourists, businesses in Charleston and Florida would fall and crumble. But I never thought of Fairport, NY as a tourist destination.

Guess what? I'm wrong. Fairport is a small village of about 6,000 people that sits right on the Erie Canal. During the annual Canal Days festival, over 400 people flock to this small village. Too bad my business won't be ready for this year's festival. However, all through the summer people travel the canal going from one "fair" port to another.

Recently I was told a great FREE way to advertise is with the Dock Master. Who is this mystery person? I don't know. But every boat that docks in Fairport is required to check in with the Dock Master. And when they do, they get a nice little packet telling them what's happening in town. You bet my ad will be in that nice little packet. After all, it's free and they are tourists. Tourists love to spend money.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=9763bc6de6b159c4c88d6b499b82867b