Friday, May 9, 2008

Do you have a business plan?

I get that question a lot. So, enough already. I'll write the plan.

I have been spending the last two days working on a plan. I have a book I got from the library "Business plans made easy". LIARS! Big fat liars! A decent business plan is NOT easy. Ok, so the original guys behind Southwest Airlines wrote their plan on the back of a cocktail napkin, got thousands worth of venture capital and started one of the largest airline companies serving the west coast. Good for them. But I don't think that's going to work for me.

Essentially, a business plan describes what the business is and the plans for the next several years. It's important to be realistic and spell out all aspects of the business. Money, people, place, things....all of the above.

The internet is full of templates. Which does makes it easier. Just follow what some one else did and it should be a piece of cake, right?

That's what I thought. But there is research involved. You need to research the kind of market you will be it. Is it growing? You need to research the kind of money you'll need to start up. How much will it cost to get the doors open?

But in the end, I think it's a worth while exercise. I guess that's why so many people ask for the plan. So....here's your plan

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=9763bc6de6b159c4c88d6b499b82867b