Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The high road is a tough road

For those of you who have been following my travels know that the road will end in Rochester, NY. Hence, the high road. As in latitude, not morals. Once I stepped upon this road I knew it would be a slow journey. But this tough?? Already?? I haven't even opened the business yet.


My first priority was to find a place to live. I armed myself with a few houses and apartments to check out and flew north. Then I grabbed my mother and dragged her all over the east side where the mix of dwellings ranged from "you've got to be kidding me" to "hey, this is nice".

I wasn't sure yet whether I wanted to own or rent but I knew I needed some place to lay my head. I've owned my own home now for over 2 years so the experience of being a home owner is not new or a dreamed up fantasy. The wins and pitfalls are well known to me. Everyone says it's better to own. For the most part I agree. I love the fact that owning mean it's mine. I can put a nail hole anywhere I want. I can paint any color I want. And since I purposefully chose a neighborhood with out a home owners association, I can plant anything I want too.

On the other hand, when something breaks I have to fix it. It's either a trip to the home improvement store or a phone call to some professional. Either way it won't be cheap. If I was renting, I could just call the land lord and magically it's fixed without an extra dime from my pocket. But I have had some rotten land lords. Ones who have ruined my things, show up unannounced while I'm only partly dressed or don't believe me when I call to say my apartment is flooded because a pipe burst. It's a risk you take when renting. The quality of your land lord.

But most of all owning a home means that it's my space. No one comes in that house unless I let them in. No coming home to find a note that the maintance man or bug guy just happened to stop by while I was out. That's a very creepy feeling, I might add. But on, the other hand, there is the convenience of renting.

Wow, the high road is full of moral dilemas.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=9763bc6de6b159c4c88d6b499b82867b